This September, the Autism Society knows that the importance of the 2020 U.S. election cannot be understated, no matter which side of the isle you’re on. That’s why our September 2020 Toolkit focuses on the initiation of our voter registration campaign, designed to encourage eligible individuals in the disability community to vote in the upcoming election.
Our goal this month is to provide the autism community with the resources necessary to navigate the 2020 Election year in the wake of COVID-19. Additionally, the September toolkit provides more back-to-school resources for various COVID-19 education models, as well as parent checklists.
2020 Election Resources
- Autism Society’s 2020 Election Homepage
- Election Center – view sample ballot and registration information for your region simply by putting in your zip code
- AAPD #CripTheVote Presidential Election 101: Information about all candidate platforms and history related to disability policy
- #CripTheVote – AARP Blog about Presidential Candidates and related disability policy information
- Autism Society’s Legislative Goals (brochure available for print)
- Autism Society Policy Agenda
- Absentee Voting Information: an option to vote from your home and mail in the ballot. Find information on absentee voting for your state at the Election Center.
- SARTAC (Self-Advocacy Resource and Technical Assistance Center): opportunity for self-advocates to develop and grow their skills as leaders in the self-advocate movement
- ASAN: A Self-Advocate’s Guide to Voting in the U.S. Toolkit focusing on the process of voting and understanding how to prepare to vote on Election Day.
Back-To School Resources
- Back to School: Know Your Rights by the Autism Society of America
- Consortium for Citizen’s with Disabilities Principles for School Reopening
- Facebook Live Special: “Back to School: A Global Discussion Support Students with Autism“
- Autism Society’s Coronavirus Information Series: Preparing your IEP for Back to School featuring Anne Holmes of MyHana
- Ignite Public Policy Newsletter: Information on Schools Reopening and Legislation
- National Disability Rights Network State by State Reopening Plan Compilation
- State Advocacy Toolkit – Updated for September 2020
Autism Society of Alabama‘s “Take and Make” for parents, supplying teachers with visual aids, hands-on educational and sensory items.
Autism Society Coachella Valley’s “Bring Back the 90s” Music Bing (and Dance Party) Virtual Fundraiser
Autism Society of Northern Virginia’s Presidential Candidate Forum: Biden Campaign, discussing Biden’s disability platform
Collaboration: Autism Society Howard County & Autism Society Baltimore are hosting a joint event, Every Step Counts Autism Walk and 5K Run